Friday 20 May 2011

Rest Stops, Rest Stops Everywhere, but Not A Place to Sleep


OK. Day one over! Thank god. I’m never ever doing day one again. After Mike was finished at his birthday party or whatever it was he was doing in Fredericton, we hit the road north in the rain. As we passed Woodstock, the rain finally stopped and it was smooth sailing from there. 

We talked about girls, ambitions for the trip, the future and the merits of a silent ‘h’ at the end of Sara. I’m sure we talked more than just that; after all, we were awake for 21 hours. I’m sure that if I were a better writer, you would be starting to get the sense of the male bonding going on in the truck... I would be thankful if you just pretend that this is awesome or at least pretend to liked it in front of my face. 

Anyway, we stopped for gas in Edmunston before the gas prices jumped 20 cents in Quebec. We also went into the Wendy’s to use the washroom.  After we had Burger King for lunch, Mike swore off fast food. Here is how the Wendy’s scene played out. (After the bathroom of course)

Jeremy: (to Mike) Are you getting anything?
Mike: No. I think I’m alright.
Jeremy: I think I’m going to get something. I feel weird about using their washroom and not getting anything.

They stand in line

Server: Can I help you?
(Keep in mind this girl has a French accent. But, she wasn’t the type of French girl who makes you wish you were dating a French girl.)
Jeremy: Hi, I’ll have a chocolate frosty.

(Insert awkward scene here ... this part really isn’t that interesting so we’ll just call it the chocolate frosty fiasco and move on. If you’re really interested, just ask me about it later.)

-Okay, skip ahead to funny part that has a lot of build up but not a lot of pay off.
Also, Mike has decided to get something.

Mike: What did you get?
Jeremy: Frosty.
Mike: Yeah, yeah. (Looks at the menu as if he sees a butterfly flying around). Yeah, I think I’ll get a chicken salad. (Pause for added comedy). Holy Jeese! Those are expensive.
Jeremy: You could get a half size.
Mike: Yeah, I think I’ll do that.
Server: (keep in mind that Mike has just told me that he has a thing for French accents and I took his words out of context for added hilarity). Can I help you?
Mike: Yeah, I’ll have a bacon cheese burger.

... and then we found 5 dollars.

OK. Side note: Mike is a jerk. As I was reading what I wrote for the blog, I had some nasal debris hanging there which he neglected to tell me about...

We continued on till we were just outside Quebec City. We took a rest at a rest stop to try to figure out how far we were going to go before we stop for the night. After much debate as to staying there or trying to get to Montreal, we decided to keep going.

We got past Montreal and looked for a gas station in the GPS. It led us to a tall scary looking apartment building in the middle of a field. We took our chances and kept going. We tried to stop at an Ultramar but we were told it was closed so we kept going till we found an open gas station. Now I realize that story wasn’t going anywhere but I just wanted to note that the French don’t seem all that bad and were pretty nice. Be kind to the French! They are people too. Apparently, Mike tells me, I spoke to a Tim Horton’s worker as if was a child. “Do. You. Speak. English?” Whatever. I was tired.

We got out the trust ol GPS out again to find a rest stop. There was a big one that was close to where we were. Come to find out it was closed and the closest one was 10 minutes away.  I know it doesn’t seem like a big deal but when you have been awake for long than 20 hours, have to stay awake to drive another 10 minutes seems like forever!

Turns out that the closed rest stop was a blessing. We passed the Sea Dogs bus. Now for yous who don’t follow hockey, The Sea Dogs are the biggest hockey team in Saint John. Oh, and they won the regional championship last night. It is the first time they ever one and now they are off to the national tournament. Anyway, it was cool that we got to honk and give them a thumbs up at 4 in the morning when they are on their way home with the cup! Second, we passed into Ontario. That’s right, we made it through Quebec.

Today is day two. So far we haven’t really done anything fun cause I’ve been blogging when I should be navigating... Crap. Where are we?

1 comment:

  1. Jer! I, too, feel weird if I don't buy something at the place I've stopped to use the washroom!

    Congrats, Mikey, on your BA! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete