Friday 20 May 2011

If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.


Today is day three. I realize that I didn’t blog about day two so here is a brief overview: We got in the truck and drove a lot. It rained.

Last night we stopped for supper just past Sudbury, Ontario. We thought it would be a good idea to wait till 9 pm EST to make spaghetti. Turns out it is real flipping hard to cook spaghetti and then clean up in the dark.  Afterwards, we found a rest stop by a waterfall. Turns out we aren’t allowed to camp at rest stops. But Hey, we’re tourist from New Brunswick...
Today has been... Fun.  Turns out that Western Ontario has a lot of trees. We passed a construction site we it looked as though the rock wall beside the road collapsed. It was also in the middle of a field that appeared to have been a site of a forest fire. All the trees were bare and black. There has been some sweet views but most of the time the drive is very similar to the one from Moncton to Fredericton with the exception that these roads are only two lane.

Mike decided to make his own entertainment by driving towards crows on the side of the road and honking the horn. The best part is seeing the satisfaction on his face when the crow flies away. Just saying, I saw this man graduate university the other day and he wasn’t as excited as when the crow flies away. One crow stood up for himself by not flying away. Mike hasn’t talked since...

On a happier note, my cell phone hasn’t gotten signal since we left the rest stop this morning. Wait, that isn’t good news at all. Our friends and family must be worries sick. Oh that’s right; Mike still has reception on his phone. My phone is only a couple months old! Mike has had his cell phone since they started to manufacture flip phones. So I guess only my loved ones will be worried... It isn’t like my girl friend has to climb a mountain to send me text messages from Ecuador and if I don’t get them on time then she leaves. No, I’m not bitter at all.

Side Note: the one radio station we get out here is playing Cher. It wouldn’t be nearly as fun without Michael’s commentary, “Do you believe? Do you believe in love after love? Do you? I do. I can’t feel something inside me say, I really don’t think you’re strong enough.” ...Awesome.

Mike noticed the abundance of traffic on the railroad here. He always takes a minute to watch them going by. He has also started to make his case as to why trains are more economically and environmental better.

One thing I do like about Western Ontario is that the sun likes to vacation out here. Not that I don’t like the rainy grey skies of the Maritimes. I just like to see the sun from time to time.

We have been having meals of coffee and bagels at Tim Horton’s in small towns along the way; however, one of the most memorable meals was lunch today at a highway side rest stop and look out. There was one picnic table and a garbage can but it really was only the shoulder of the highway. Mike went off to watch the trains as I struggled with the can opener and a can of zoodles. When he came back, he took over opening the other can and started to eat as I continued with my struggle. Turns out that you are supposed to go at it from the top and not the side of the rim. Anyway, I got noodles all over the place when I was making it a noodles sandwich.

We’re hoping to make it to Manitoba tonight and I guess if I was more focused on the wheel instead of the blog... A laptop is hands free right?

1 comment:

  1. 1. I'm a big fan of Cher.
    2. Just the other day Taylor was telling me all about how trains are the greatest thing ever... or something along those lines. (Ha! Get it? "those lines" bahaha) Anyway... Mikey, you and Taylor could have a nice chat about your mutual love for trains.
    3. Are you guys taking pictures? You should be. And then post them.
    4. I'm so excited for you both! Have fun and be safe!

    ReplyDelete